Enhancing audit committee leadership and influence
Audit committees play an extraordinarily important role in corporate governance. They are a critical player in establishing confidence and trust in capital markets by ensuring high-quality, reliable financial reporting. In addition, many audit committees are now charged with overseeing additional risks, including vitally important areas such as cybersecurity.
Chairing the audit committee of a large public company is difficult. There are no one-size-fits-all solutions. Success requires judgment, developed from personal experience and insight from others who have faced similar situations.
Since 2012, the Southwest Audit Committee Network (SWACN) has helped its members—the chairs of the audit committees at large public companies—succeed. Four times each year, Southwest members gather for a confidential group discussion. The conversations sometimes feature world-class guests, but the members’ voices dominate, and the agendas are driven by the audit chairs.
Tapestry Networks orchestrates the network, building on 15 years of convening board leaders in meaningful conversations. Tapestry helps members prepare for meetings with insightful, original reading material that draws upon tailored research and pre-meeting interviews with members and other leading thinkers. The meetings are synthesized into post-meeting publications that can be shared with colleagues. Everything is done under a non-attribution agreement that ensures candor and protects personal and company confidentiality.
Our members include:
- Curt Anastasio, Par Pacific Holdings
- Mark Baldwin, KBR, Inc.
- John Carrig, WPX Energy
- Vanessa Chang, Transocean
- Nick Chirekos, Peabody
- Marcela Donadio, Marathon Oil
- Barbara Duganier, MRC Global
- Rodney Eads, NOW Inc.
- Paulett Eberhart, LPL Financial Holdings
- Bella Goren, Gap Inc.
- Sue Gove, Tailored Brands
- Bruce Hanks, CenturyLink
- Dave Harrison, National Oilwell Varco
- Mercedes Johnson, Micron Technology
- Steve Johnson, Torchmark
- Bob Jordan, The Container Store Group
- Don Kendall, SolarCity
- Jennifer Kirk, Republic Services
- Teresa Madden, Peabody
- Guillermo Marmol, Foot Locker
- Royce Mitchell, Pioneer Natural Resources
- Barry Pearl, Magellan Midstream Partners
- Mary Ricciardello, Devon Energy
- Don Robillard, Helmerich & Payne
- Dunia Shive, Trinity Industries
- Rick Simonson, Electronic Arts
- Janice Stipp, ArcBest Corporation
- Bill Van Kleef, Noble Energy and Oil States International
- Valerie Williams, DTE Energy
- Billie Williamson, Cushman & Wakefield